Virtual Summer Camp
Enjoy camp from the comfort of your own home! Led by the Y’s caring and well-trained staff, our virtual camp combines the best part of a traditional camp experience — new adventures, new skills, and new friends - all while building a child’s confidence, self-esteem, and independence.
Our camp will be held Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to noon. Every day will have a special event, such as Silly Hat Day, Superhero Day, Crazy Hair Day and more. Our days will begin with a 20 minute fitness session and then transition into three 40 minute activity periods, each with different choices of activities. Activities will rotate on a daily basis, with some camp favorites returning!
2020 Camp Info:
Open to youth ages 6-15.
July 13th - July 17th
July 20th - July 24th
July 27th - July 31st
Aug 3rd - Aug 7th
Aug 10th - Aug 14th
Aug 17th - Aug 21st
Aug 24th - Aug 28th
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
$200 per week for YMCA members (price will be adjusted after membership verification by our office!)
$220 per week for community members
Families have the added option of ordering crafting materials for the week for $30 (shipping included). Materials must be purchased by Wednesday the week before their camp session starts.
Every Friday, families will receive an email with the week’s schedule. Please respond by Sunday at 5 p.m. with the activities your child will be doing for the week. Activities with no participants or low enrollment will be canceled for that week.
Activities are broken down into categories. Depending on the ages of campers signed up, we will be splitting the activities by age groups.
Here are some examples of what to expect
Interactive online games/activities:
- Creative writing prompts
- and more!
Live/prerecorded camp activities:
- Horseback riding/learn about horses
- Hiking, critter hunts
- Ax throwing
- Candle making
- Sports Lessons
- and more!
- Arts and Crafts
- Dungeons and Dragons (requires the use of two activity periods, played over the course of a week)
Is Virtual Camp safe?
Child protection is a priority for the Metro YMCAs. We have invested significant time and resources to create and maintain an environment that is safe for all children. This level of protection also applies to our online virtual program offerings. All staff and volunteers will have completed a background check, reference check and child protection training.
Program Safety Information:
- For youth programs, a parent/guardian or other responsible adult must be present on screen for the beginning and end of each session. The parent/guardian or other responsible adult should be present during the class, but does not need to be on screen.
- Campers and staff should never interact outside of the predetermined Zoom call.
- All communication's regarding the virtual camp program should come to or from email@example.com.
- If you believe your child has interacted with a staff member outside of a Zoom call, please speak with Matthew Lifschultz immediately. Call 973-383-9282 or email Matthew Lifschultz immediately.
- The zoom link is not to be shared at any point. Please do not post the link anywhere on the internet or share it with anyone else.
What are some ways to prepare for virtual camp?
- Follow Our Safety & Security Guidelines and review them with your child prior to camp starting. Have an open and honest conversation about behavior while engaged in online programs - both through the Y and when using the internet independently.
- Ensure that your child understands how to use Zoom. Here is a quick how-to.
- We want to make sure that all campers are comfortable and ready to have fun. For the first few activities, we recommend parents supervise children from a distance, in case they need any assistance.
- Set up a camp space — children should be seated in a comfortable location like at a table where they can prop up their learning device if needed. We ask that devices stay in a stationary location during the activities.
What equipment/materials are needed to make the most of the virtual camp experience?
We recommend participating on a laptop or computer for this program. This will make it much easier to interact with fellow campers and participate in the program. Tablets and phones can work but will not provide the optimal experience. Virtual Camp will be taking place on Zoom, so be sure to have the application installed ahead of the virtual camp session.
For arts and crafts activities, families have the added option of ordering crafting materials for the week for $30 (shipping included). Materials must be purchased by Wednesday the week before their camp session starts.
Who will be the camp instructors?
Virtual Camp will be led by YMCA staff and volunteers. All staff and volunteers will have participated in a background check, reference check, all relevant trainings, and a screening by our Raptor system, which integrates with The National Sex Offender Registry.
After all the extra screen time my child has had, why should I sign up for virtual camp?
We completely understand, and we know many of us have had more screen time while staying home. Although our virtual summer camp is still on a screen, we’ll be engaging children with constructive, educational lessons to build new skills and learn positive values — while still giving them a chance to be silly and have fun with their friends. We will use the screens as a way to connect — nothing more. All learning and activities will be hands on and incredibly interactive.